diocese of lafayette confirmation policy
INTRODUCTION: Students must be in the 11th grade and/or sixteen years of age to be confirmed.
1. Preparation for Confirmation involves the coordinated efforts of the candidates, pastor, parents, sponsors, catechists, and the parish community.
2. Preparation for Confirmation takes place within the parish community.
3. The initiation of children into sacramental life is primarily the responsibility of the parents.
4. Sponsors are to be named by the student's parents and must be of at least sixteen years of age. They are to be Catholics, themselves confirmed, and lead a life in harmony with the duty they are undertaking. A sponsor cannot be one of the parents of the student nor can they be bound by any canonical penalty.
5. An entry is to be made in the appropriate registry of the parish. If Confirmation takes place outside of the parish of Baptism, notification is to be sent to the parish in a timely fashion.