Diocese of Lafayette first reconciliation policy
INTRODUCTION: Children who reach the age of reason (approximately seven years old) are to be prepared to receive sacramental reconciliation. The R.C.I.A. is to be used to prepare adults.
1. First Reconciliation is to be celebrated prior to the reception of First Communion.
2. Parents, as the primary educators of their children, must be involved in the preparation of their children.
3. Parishes will provide programs which help parents teach their children.
4. Parents, catechists, and the pastor have the responsibility for determining the readiness of the individual child.
5. The parish church rather than the school is to be the place of preparation and celebration.
6. No child may be denied this sacrament if properly disposed.
7. A child's desire and choice not to celebrate this sacrament is to be respected.
8. Catechesis for First Reconciliation is to be conducted separately from First Communion