Diocese of Lafayette first communion policy
INTRODUCTION: Children who reach the age of reason (approximately seven years old) are to be prepared to receive First Communion. Children are to have the preparation and the opportunity to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation prior to First Communion. The R.C.I.A. is to be used to prepare adults.
1. Readiness for First Communion is when the child expresses a desire for it and is able to distinguish it from ordinary bread and wine.
2. The child should be able to recognize the communal aspect of the sacrament.
3. The determination for readiness is the responsibility of the parents, the catechists, and the pastor.
4. Parents have a duty to be involved in the preparation of their child for the first reception of Communion.
5. Parishes will provide programs which help parents teach their children.
6. The parish church rather than the school is the appropriate place for preparation and celebration of First Communion.
7. An entry is to be made in the sacramental registry of the parish.